Monday, May 18, 2009

Afternoon Routines

Here Ireena was cutting up cocaine on her coffee table and a snorting a few lines an hour. Her thoughts were ranging from despondent to triumphant. There was no stability to her judgment. But she was ready for anything.
Her phone rang. It was Penelope.
“What’s going on? Did anything happen?”
“I gave a boy my number. I didn’t really want to, but I felt bad for him.”
“I slept with Ted. I think I have to do it again tonight so it’s not weird at work on Monday.”
“Have to do it again? Who are you?”
“I’m Penelope and I’m from New Mexico.”
“That’s right. You’re no whore.”
“Of course not!”
“You wanna come over and do some blow with me?”
“I don’t think I can take that.”
“Suit yourself. Go back out in that world of sobriety. Go unassisted, the way everyone else goes assisted legally.”
“See, I can’t do it. I feel like you need to have a lot to do to justify that sort of thing.”
“You’ve got nothing to do? You’ve got no excuse for not coming over.”
“Alright, I’ll call you when I’m done with my shopping today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment