Monday, May 18, 2009

The Right Side of the Brain

Penelope and Luther were walking alone together through the park. The time was 4 AM, and they had both decided it was time to go home.
“Where is everybody?”
“Just be very quiet for a second.”
The two were silent.
They heard singing and drunken logic in the distance.
“We should all walk back together,” Luther confirmed.
Penelope walked alongside him.
“So what was the most interesting role you ever had?”
Luther had to think of a good one.
“Well uh, that’s a tough question. I’ve had about ten different roles so far. Between the ages of 12 and 25, ten roles. I mean speaking parts.””
“So I wouldn’t have seen any of those movies?”
“I don’t know. Did you see ‘Dennis the Menace?’”
“The movie? Yeah! You were in that?”
“That was my first role. I’m really just a glorified extra. But I got bigger roles after that.”
“Really, like what?”
“Oh, little independent movies with tiny budgets and no audience. I don’t think you would have heard of them. Barely any of them got theatrical release.”
They were coming closer to the group they had straggled behind a couple hours before
“Try me, I started off college as a cinema studies major. I’ve seen a lot of indies.”
Luther struggled to come up with a generic sounding title.
“Did you ever see ‘Isolation?’”
“No, what was it about?””That was my biggest role. I played an urban dweller struggling with agoraphobia who sought solace in the mountains. It was kind of a travelogue movie, but I’ve heard it’s really popular amongst mountain climbers who suffer from agoraphobia”
“Do you have an extra copy around your house? I’d love to see you on screen.”
“Yeah, I’d just have to rummage through my storage unit first.”
“Luther!”
It was Charles, emerging from the foliage.
“Luther, I saw you here earlier today! And here we are again; who would have thought such serendipity was possible?”
“I don’t get it. But then again, that, earlier today, was a coincidence. This, now, you kind of made us all come along with you.”
“I merely proposed! The idea was met with mutual support, all around, and we left.”
“Yeah, but I’m saying, this isn’t serendipitous. You are the direct cause of this effect. Serendipity is when there is no logical cause.”
“Break out your dictionaries!” Charles conceded, and started walking ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment