Monday, May 18, 2009

Coy Mistress

After their various friends and acquaintances left the party, Rory and Ireena were left alone on the couch. There was no one left to make fun of. The conversation was not deflected by peripheral circumstances. Rory had fallen deeper and deeper for Ireena the more they had talked that night. It was clear to anybody in the room at the party that this was so. It was not clear to them what Ireena’s intentions were, but they figured since she opted to stay in, she was not unwelcoming to Rory’s advances.
For the first half hour or so after the crowd left the apartment, the two danced around the sexual tension by continuing to drink and go outside for cigarettes. But after a half an hour, the cracks began to show.
“So do you want another drink?” Rory asked, after finishing his own and looking at Ireena’s glass.
“Could I just have a glass of water? I think I’ve had enough to drink for now.”
Rory went into the kitchen and poured two glasses of water. He came back and sat on the couch with Ireena.
“It’s getting really late now,” Ireena said.
“Yeah, it’s clearly the middle of the night at this point.”
“I wonder if everyone is still over at the park, writing poetry.”
“They’re pretty crazy. I don’t think I belong with them when they do that sort of thing though. I’ll tag along for most of their nutty ideas, but sometimes I just don’t get them.”
Ireena slumped over on the couch.
“Are you falling asleep?”
“I think so. I should probably get going.”
“Are you taking a cab home?”
“Uh-huh.”
“I mean, if you don’t feel like going through all that trouble, you can stay here if you want, it doesn’t make any difference to me.”
“No, I have to sleep in my own bed. Or else I’ll get back tomorrow and not be well rested enough, and sleep all day. It’s better if I go now.”
“Well, whatever you need to do.”
“I just need to go to the bathroom.”
When Ireena got up, Rory immediately began thinking about what he could do to be as attractive as possible to her. At this stage, here she was leaving, he had her number, he could ask her if she wanted to go on a date, or he could tell her she was an incredible woman, or he could just try to kiss her and see if she was receptive.
While she was in the bathroom, Ireena thought about Rory’s offer. What difference would it make if she stayed? She knew he wanted to sleep with her. She wanted to sleep with him but she didn’t want to deal with the fallout of it. She knew he’d be all over her constantly and she’d have to figure out a way to let him off nicely.
When she came out of the bathroom, Rory was still sitting on the couch.
“You know I think you’re really incredible.”
“What?” Ireena asked, startled, looking sober suddenly.
“I haven’t met a girl like you before, and I don’t think I ever will again.”
“Thank you, is that a compliment?”
“I don’t want you to go. I wish you could stay and we could stay up all night together.”
“It doesn’t really fit into my plans at the moment.”
“Well you want to do it some other night, maybe a Friday night next time?”
“I don’t know. I just can’t decide right now. I’m really tired.”
“Okay well can I call you later this week?”
“Sure, just make sure it’s after five.”
She gathered her stuff together and started out the door.”I had a really nice time. Goodnight.” She kissed him on the cheek and went down the stairs and out to the street to wait for a taxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment