Monday, May 18, 2009

The Trial

Spencer did not wake up in Jamaica. He woke up next to Missy. It was 7:30, and his alarm clock was going off. He had slept for about 26 minutes.
Missy moaned. Then she said, “Do you want me to go with you?”
“Yes, I want you to be there when they send me away.”
When they were having breakfast a little later, they saw Charles, and he said, “Do you want me to go to the courthouse?”
“Yes, please come along with us. It’s going to be a memorable experience.”
“Don’t you think it’s something to forget?” Missy asked. “I mean, this is the kind of thing that blows over, obviously, it’s not like you killed somebody.”
“It’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done.”
They ate their breakfast in silence.

On the train ride down to the court house, the three of them sat together. There was not much conversation. The train was mostly empty. When they got off at the court house stop, the conversation began.
“So, like, what’s going to happen do you think?” Spencer asked. “What’s the procedure for this?”
“I think you’ll stand when they ask you to rise, and walk forward, and ask you how you plead.” Charles reasoned.
“I thought they only ask you how you plead if you have a lawyer.” Missy thought aloud.
“I don’t have a lawyer! What should I do?”
“I think you should just say you did it, and you’re sorry, and you want to move on with your normal life as soon as possible.” Charles reasoned. “That sounds like a good answer!” Missy enthused.
When they walked up to the steps of the courthouse, Spencer asked if the two of them would hold him as they walked in together. The walked in and sat in one of the rows of benches. They sat for forty-five minutes and listened to other cases, mostly DUIs from the night before. Finally, the judge called Spencer.
“Blackwell, Spencer?”
He rose and said, “Present.”
“You’ve been charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana, how do you plead?”
“Guilty.”
“You’re sentenced to six months in Cook County Jail. You may make an appeal if you wish.”
“When?” “You can see the bailiff afterwards and she will give you the forms necessary for appeal.”
“How long do I have to make the appeal?”
“That’s to be covered by the bailiff.”
The judge got up and left, and Spencer went over to the bailiff.
“Am I going to jail, or is it possible to get out of this?”
“You’re going away, sorry. But you can try to appeal if you want to. Nobody ever gets it though.”
“Why not?” She leaned in closer and whispered in his ear, “Money.”
“Did you really have to whisper that?”
“I don’t want to offend anybody here.”
Spencer got the forms from the bailiff and he and Missy and Charles left the courthouse and went back towards the train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment