Monday, May 18, 2009

Jeanne's Request

Missy and Jeanne were still tanning on the beach after 2:00. They had done a good job of it. Jeanne had packed them a picnic lunch. They ate tomato and mozzarella sandwiches, and a banana each. They drank a bottle of water. When they had finished their lunch, Jeanne made her request.
“Missy can I ask you something?”
“Ask me anything!”
“Will you help me be more normal?”
“You’re pretty normal already.”
“No I’m not, I’m different from everybody else.”
“That’s good. Who wants to be like everybody else?”
“Well it doesn’t help to be so radical and different when everyone you meet all the time is so much the same. What am I getting out of being so unconventional?”
“What did you want to ask?”
“Do you think I’m pretty?”
“You’re gorgeous! Who wouldn’t want you?”
Jeanne stood up in the sand and walked over to the bubbling surf.
“I don’t know, okay. I’m just sick of the same thing happening over and over.”
Missy got up silently, snuck up behind Jeanne, pushed her in the water face first.
“There! Bet you never had that happen before!”

No comments:

Post a Comment