Monday, May 18, 2009

Love in the Head, Not Bed

Penelope lay next to Luther now, a morning after lying next to Ted. Luther was still asleep, but she could not will herself to go back to it. She got out of his bed and walked around his apartment. She went to his kitchen and started brewing coffee. She sat down on the couch and waited for the coffee to drip.
She was thinking about what she was going to say when Luther woke up:
“Last night was the most fun I’ve had since I can remember.”
“You’re the best—I just thought you should know.”
“I want to go shopping today. You want to come with?”
“I made coffee for us, I hope it’s okay.”
“You’re so sexy just waking up in the morning.”
“Hey baby (followed by a kiss).”
“Do you think Spencer’s done with his trial already?”
“I’m not quite sure, but I think I should get going.”
“Do you know this guy Ted? I slept with him last night.”
“I wonder what happened with Ireena and Rory.”
The coffee was done, and a beeper went off, which Penelope hurried over towards as not to wake up Luther. She pushed the right button and poured herself a cup and sat back down on the couch alone. She was bored, so she opened up the apartment door, grabbed the Sunday paper, started reading the Style section. After about fifteen minutes she was wired from the coffee, and she started giggling at the main article of the section—a piece on the next fashion trend to come. The newspaper called it Nu Grunge, they explained that it was exactly the same as the original grunge, except this time it was to be purposefully affected, not actually lived, and all of the original Generation X kids were parents now, and they had to keep some remnant of their sordid pasts. They ditched the drugs, they ditched the malaise, but they kept the clothes. So all of the old grunge wear was popular again, but only if it was original, used, and if it was new, recently woven and tailored, well, high school kids would be buying it, and here was another cycle to last another fifteen years. It was truly up to the poor to make the styles of the rich, Penelope decided.
Luther emerged quietly from his bedroom.
“I made some coffee, I hope it’s okay.”
“You are awesome.” Luther said as he went to fill up.
They drank their coffee together.
“So, what kind of research are going to do?”
“Today? I’m just going to fuck around today. No real work to be done.”
“Sound nice. I have a shift starting at 4.”
“Oh man, well you should get baked with me before you have to be ready for work.”
Penelope laughed and then said, “Okay.”

No comments:

Post a Comment