Monday, May 18, 2009

Blow Up

Penelope’s nose leaked a clean line of red fluid. Too much blow up each nostril. She stuffed a Kleenex up each one. Ireena hadn’t gone out much that day. But when Penelope arrived, Ireena insisted she get messed up with her in the afternoon. Penelope went off:
“I mean, Ted was a nice guy, don’t get me wrong. It did kind of flip me out that he freaked out at that Rory kid. But that was such a short part of the whole night. He’s good, you know, I felt secure in his arms. He was very reassuring, very comforting. He didn’t act like other guys when they try to pick you up. But something’s not right, and I have to call him soon and see if we’re going to keep doing this thing or if we’re gonna decide it was a terrible idea. I don’t want to go to work anymore if he starts bragging to everybody else there about how he did me. I don’t ever want to go to work again. I don’t want to see Ted again, but I have to. It’s common courtesy. It’s what you do after you sleep with somebody. It’s civility. You exchange your fluids, you think you can exchange reservations. I mean, I have a very weird situation, I’m not like most other girls my age. I mean, I think one day, I will have a long term relationship again. But not with Ted, you know? He’d be fun to sleep with a few more times, but I could never spend all my time with someone who seems like he could be such a loose cannon.”
Ireena’s reply: “I could just tell by looking at his eyes. He’s such a confused, awkward person.”
THE RECONVENING OF LUTHER AND RORY
Rory: So how was passing out before I left?
Luther: It was nice, you know, sometimes it’s good not to get drunk every chance you get.
Rory: I went over to Ted’s party.
Luther: No way.
Rory: Didn’t really follow through on the plan. Too many obstacles. Ted flipped on me and I just left because this girl was sticking up for me.
Luther: Girl?
Rory: This girl Ireena, she gave me her number, but I haven’t called her yet. Do you think I should do it the first night?
Luther: I don’t know man, are you gonna be able to wait until next week?
Rory: She’s crazed, but I like that.
Luther: Call her up, have her meet us at a bar with a friend.
Rory: I don’t know, don’t you think that’s a little presumptuous?
Luther: You have a better idea what we should do with our night? Go out to bars with no specific prospects in mind, come on man, you’ve got a leg up, you can’t let that go to waste.
Rory: Alright, let me call her (takes out cell phone)
Luther: Music maestro. (puts on a Beat Happening album)
Rory: Turn it down a little.
Luther: Hey, my apartment, my space, my decibel level, you want it quieter go in the bathroom. (starts rolling a joint)
Rory: Hi Ireena, it’s Rory, I just wanted to know what you’re up to tonight, if you want to hang out, I think I’m gonna hit some bars with my friend Luther.
Calvin Johnson: Let’s fly away, to the other side.
Luther: Hi Ireena!
Rory: So, gimme a call back if you want to meet up. Bye bye.
Luther: (coughing) You’re a champ man, a real champion message leaver.
Rory: And you’re a fucking dork. (flicks lighter)

No comments:

Post a Comment