Monday, May 18, 2009

Economy Watch

Rory and Luther and Penelope and Ireena had buckled and gotten a second absinthe at the bar. The discussion was no longer about acting, nor lying, nor evil, nor anything they could disagree with each other about. They now moved on economics, which none of them understood, but they liked to think that with absinthe would come revelations.
“I think it’s possible to not have to leave your couch and make thousands of dollars a week.” Luther said.
“Internet stock trading.” Rory said.
“That’s the easy way out,” Ireena said.
“You think there’s a way to guarantee an income that way?” Penelope asked.
“I’ve known people who could do it.” Luther said.
“I’ve seen commercials for it.” Rory said.
“That’s all lies,” Ireena said, “I mean, just how dense are you guys? You trust those people? All they want to tell you is that you, yes you, can do just what they did, and one day star in your own commercial, complete with your 25-year-old haircut, your tired business vocabulary, your serpentine digressions, always returning to the only truth you know, making money, making money, and everybody can do it! Nobody gets shut out, right?”
“Stocks are unpredictable,” Luther said, “But you can analyze trends, you have to know the kind of people that live in this world, and realize there are a million vultures waiting at every opportunity.”
“This is making me sick.” Penelope said.
“Penny,” Rory said, “This is a very tame discussion of economics. Would you prefer we talk about puppies?”
“Puppies are always nice,” she said.
“She’s right,” Ireena said, “This makes me depressed. Ideally, nobody has to use those things. Nobody has to be that desperate.”
“Ideally.” Rory said.
“My family got a puppy when I was a baby,” Luther said, “But I kept my distance so badly that whenever it got near, I’d cry, and they returned it.”
“Puppies can bite,” Rory said.
“Just these last few months, I’ve really wanted to get a puppy.” Penelope said.
“What kind?” Luther asked
“One that’s easy to take care of, and lives a long time. I haven’t really thought about what breed yet though.” She answered
“Well, just don’t get a Golden Retriever, for God’s sake.” Rory said
Ireena laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment